Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Exiles (Ilyon Chronicles)


Title: Exiles

Series: Ilyon Chronicles (Book #4)


Year: 2017

Author: Jaye L. Knight

Summary: Exiled after their defeat in Samara, the Resistance struggles to find allies in their quest to restore King Balen to his throne and put an end to the emperor’s tyranny. When the crete people refuse to lend their aid, Balen leads a group to Dorland to reason with them and win their support. However, enemies prove to be everywhere, and they find themselves in a fight to keep Dorland from becoming Daican’s latest conquest. 

Back in Landale, the arrival of a new enemy forces Trask and Anne to tread more carefully than ever. Tensions are rising, and the enemy is determined to test Anne’s loyalty and root out the location of Trask and the Resistance once and for all. 

Feeling trapped within the walls of Valcré, Prince Daniel must contend with an ever-eroding relationship with his father. As their clashes escalate, the situation becomes potentially life threatening when his loyalty is called into question. His sister seems bent on branding him a traitor and actively seeking to condemn him to the fate of those put to death in their father’s new arena. Daniel is certain his father would never execute his only son and heir, but with other forces at work, it might not be that simple. 

One small misstep could prove fatal for all. (from Goodreads)

Main Characters:
~ Kyrin
~ Jace
~ Daniel
~ Anne

Review: First off, this book came out on my birthday. How. Cool. Is. That. Of course, I had to buy it for myself as a birthday gift. 

This series just keeps getting better. I think book #2 may be my favorite overall, but this one definitely almost topped that one! I loved getting to follow Kyrin, Jace, and their friends all over the map -- in an effort to get allies against Daican, they visit the cretes and Dorlanders. Personally, I really enjoyed getting to see the different cultures. There are familiar aspects to each one, but they are all so unique. And the new culture -- *jaw drops* Ilyon fans, rejoice. Saul and his band are everything we wanted them to be. 

However, we're not just with Kyrin and Co. Anne and Trask, I felt, played a bigger role in this book as they fight the battle at Landale. Not a real fight, mind you, because Anne still has to keep up her family's facade and Trask has to keep the whole camp a secret. Goler was despicable, as always. Charles was the best. I thought this book opened a new perspective on Anne; she became more real as I got to see further into her life and struggles. The sensibility she showed in putting others' needs above her own really stood out to me. Plus, she and Trask are just absolutely adorable. Just sayin'. 

My favorite character of the whole series is quickly becoming Prince Daniel. I loved getting to start his story in the last few books, but this one took him to a whole new level. And at the end -- PLOT TWIST -- Can't say I saw that one coming! Jaye is keeping all of us on our toes and I need book #5 ASAP. I hate Davira with an intense, passionate hate. More than I hated her father. That's all I can say. 

Shout-out to Kaden and some epic dragon action. That would probably be the one thing lacking in this book. Not enough of Kaden and dragons. It was fun getting to see more of Kyrin's other brother, Michael, though. 

Overall, this was an amazing continuation of the Ilyon Chronicles. I have been recommending this series to basically everybody since I read the first book, and I haven't stopped yet. 

Advisory: Violence/blood/fighting, but all in Jaye's usual style. Characters almost drown/are threatened to lose fingers/get beaten/get executed/etc. Because most of the book centers on battles/fights, I would recommend this book for readers over 12. 

Another portion of the book focuses on the ryriks and their wild tendency towards abusing women (i.e. rape). The subject is broached in the book as characters come into contact with the ryriks, but it is well-handled and not explicit. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Please make certain that all your comments contain appropriate subject, content, topic, and, most importantly, glorify God. Thank you!