Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales)


Title: The Last of the Mohicans

Series: The Leatherstocking Tales (Book #2)


Year: 1826

Author: James Fenimore Cooper

Summary: The wild rush of action in this classic frontier adventure story has made The Last of the Mohicans the most popular of James Fenimore Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. Deep in the forests of upper New York State, the brave woodsman Hawkeye (Natty Bumppo) and his loyal Mohican friends Chingachgook and Uncas become embroiled in the bloody battles of the French and Indian War. The abduction of the beautiful Munro sisters by hostile savages, the treachery of the renegade brave Magua, the ambush of innocent settlers, and the thrilling events that lead to the final tragic confrontation between rival war parties create an unforgettable, spine-tingling picture of life on the frontier. And as the idyllic wilderness gives way to the forces of civilization, the novel presents a moving portrayal of a vanishing race and the end of its way of life in the great American forests. (from Goodreads)

Main Characters:
~ Hawkeye (Natty Bumppo)
~ Chingachgook
~ Uncas
~ Cora Munro
~ Duncan Heyward
~ Alice Munro
~ David Gamut
~ Magua

Review: This was my first time ever reading a Cooper novel. I'm really not sure why I haven't picked up one of the Leatherstocking Tales until now, but my appetite has been awoken. Now I want to read all of Natty's adventures. 

Honestly, I feel like the summary this classic novel gets from Goodreads and Amazon and pretty much anywhere else is super boring. The blurb on the back of the book I read wasn't even accurate to the story's contents. Fail right there, folks. This novel deserves a lot more praise from its summary writers. I mean, c'mon -- it's a classic! It's been an American favorite since it was published in the 1800s! There's a reason it's lasted this long, so give it a little extra effort to help us to a satisfying summary. 

Okay, sorry. Rant over. Yes, I loved this book. Once you found your way through the sometimes long and confusing passages of the American frontier, it was easy to get hooked on the story. Cora and Alice certainly have picked the wrong time to travel. It's the third year of the French and Indian War, and getting to their father's fort means that they have to somehow survive the Indian wilderness en route. Accompanying them is the faithful, romantic soldier Duncan Heyward (whom I feel like involuntarily becomes one of the main focuses of the story, even though he's not even the hero), the mysterious Indian guide Magua, and the lovable but clumsy singer David Gamut. 

So that's where the story begins. From there, it's a spiral straight into betrayals, Indian attacks, chases, hideouts, battles, kidnappings, and so much more.

As much as I loved following Hawkeye's perspective, I enjoyed getting into Duncan's head, too. Hawkeye is very much a bridge between the white man and the Indian, being a pure-blooded white man himself, but living with the Indians has helped him understand their culture and traditions. Duncan, however, jumps into the action with the perspective of a solider -- brave, but completely out of his element when it comes to trekking through the wilderness. But he learns a lot and so you can't help but root for him (and his lady). I think I gave a little cheer when he correctly identified the sound of the horse in the night when Hawkeye and Chingachgook couldn't.

David Gamut is downright hilarious. Although, like some of the Indians, I'm not completely convinced he's wholly sane. Even though he is an idiot, it was fun to watch his character develop.

I don't know that I could write this review without saying something about Uncas. Because he IS the last of the Mohicans. This once-amazing bloodline has come down to him and his father, Chingachgook. I wish Cooper had let us seen a bit more of Uncas, because I felt like he spent the first half of the book barely there. He was super important, as he was the best tracker when it came to finding the girls or the Indians, but it was almost as if Cooper suddenly remembered he was there and went, "Oh, yeah, I gotta include him, too." Uncas really stood out in the last few chapters AND I CAN'T TELL YOU BECAUSE SPOILERS EVEN THOUGH IT'S A CLASSIC. Just know, the full meaning of the book's title hit me smack dab in the face and it hurt. SO MUCH.

Magua is despicable. I don't know that I've ever hated a book's villain with such enjoyment as I've hated him. I will end the rant before I begin it. 

Advisory: Lots of blood and violence. We are talking about the middle of war here, people. Indians scalp/maim/kill/torture/etc. Please expect some blood and death. 

Also, please note that this book has a lot of racial content. I think it's important to read it within the context of which it was written: 1800s when differences between Indians and Caucasians/Europeans were naturally accepted by all. Cooper, I believe, did not intend for this novel to be a word on the racial differences we see today, but he merely portrayed the differences as he saw them played out in his time. For most of the characters and the plot itself, race plays a big part. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Please make certain that all your comments contain appropriate subject, content, topic, and, most importantly, glorify God. Thank you!