Monday, April 3, 2017

Truth (Makilien Trilogy)


Title: Truth

Series: Makilien Trilogy (Book #1)


Year: 2011

Author: Molly Evangeline (also Jaye L. Knight)

Summary: Trapped in a village no one is allowed to leave, Makilien yearns for the answers to her questions about life and the world outside the village walls. Yet no one but her closest friend seems to understand or share her desire. Despite her family's fears and warnings of the consequences, she is determined to find answers.

The unexpected arrival of a stranger, and the knowledge he possesses, drives Makilien to drastic action. Confronted with a world she knows nothing about, she must choose carefully who to trust as both good and evil lurk in all places. As a battle looms, one in which will be determined the fate of all, she must decide whether to believe in the One who is truth or fall prey to the lies of the enemy. (from Goodreads)

Main Characters:
~ Makilien 

Review: I had considered writing up a review for the entire trilogy at one go, but I feel like these books each deserve their own review. So, let's just go for the first, and see how it goes.

After falling absolutely in love with Jaye/Molly's other series, The Ilyon Chronicles, I wanted to read more from her. I'm seriously going nuts waiting for book 4, Exiles. So, I needed a good Molly fix while I waited. She published this trilogy before the Ilyon Chronicles, and it was definitely a plus to have all three books out and available to read so I didn't have to wait at all between them. And for all fans of Molly's work, this trilogy does not disappoint. It is apparent in places that this was written early on in her writing career, but it's been so much fun watching her talent with words develop. I recommend this trilogy for anyone who enjoys Molly's writing, fans of fantasy, lovers of adventures, etc. 

Makilien is an enjoyable heroine. She's brave, loyal, kind, and just everything you'd want in an epic heroine. It was a lot of fun watching her develop, and I felt her pain as she struggled along, fighting to discover the truth. (Note aside: this book is very well named.) Some of the other characters I would almost label a little stereotypical, as she has the usual older mentors that come alongside of her, but they didn't taste horribly cliche. There was the twist of having more than one mentor, and each one had their backstory. 

I found it difficult to get into the story right at the beginning, just as some things were a little slow in my opinion. However, once I got into the book, I got swept away and read the entire trilogy before I knew what was happening. 

Truthfully, this book as far as the plot is concerned reminded me of The Two Towers. Makilien and her friends have a large battle that they fight in preparation for a larger battle promised to arise in book two. I thoroughly enjoyed the pacing of the fighting and the scenes. Many times I got pulled in so much I felt like I was actually there. Guaranteed, once you start reading, you won't be able to *not* finish this series. It just isn't possible.

This series has no magic and is highly Christian. A few times I was afraid that the narrative was getting too "preachy" but overall I think Molly handled it really well. The message of truth and redemption is clearly portrayed in these pages, and I can only marvel at how Molly did it. 

Advisory: Fantasy violence and battle scenes. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Please make certain that all your comments contain appropriate subject, content, topic, and, most importantly, glorify God. Thank you!