Monday, December 5, 2016

The Warden and the Wolf King (The Wingfeather Saga)


Title: The Warden and the Wolf King

Series: The Wingfeather Saga (Book #4)


Year: 2014

Author: Andrew Peterson

Summary: All winter long, people in the Green Hollows have prepared for a final battle with Gnag the Nameless and the Fangs of Dang. Janner, Kalmar, and Leeli—Throne Warden, Wolf King, and Song Maiden of Anniera—are ready and willing to fight alongside the Hollowsfolk, but when the Fangs make the first move and invade Ban Rona, the children are separated. Janner is alone and lost in the hills; Leeli is fighting the Fangs from the rooftops of the city; and Kalmar, who carries a terrible secret, is on a course for the Deeps of Throg. Meanwhile in Skree, Sara Cobbler and Maraly Weaver care for the broken Artham Wingfeather as Fangs muster for battle across the Mighty River Blapp. 

Sea dragons lurk in the waters. Wicked Stranders crawl through the burrows. Ridgerunners and trolls prowl the land. Cloven haunt the forest. Monsters and Fangs and villains lie between the children and their only hope of victory—in the epic conclusion of The Wingfeather Saga. (from Goodreads)

Main Characters:
~ Janner Wingfeather
~ Kalmar Wingfeather
~ Leeli Wingfeather

Review: This book. THIS BOOK! I have been waiting about four years for this book, AND NOW IT'S OVER! Completely over. It's gonna take me a while to recover from this book. IT WAS THAT AMAZING!

I know. I don't usually get into all caps when writing book reviews. But this book is different. I fell in love with this series a long time ago, and I don't think I know how to handle the fact that it's over. AND I DON'T WANT IT TO BE OVER! The three Wingfeather children, the Jewels of Anniera, have gone through every adventure possible, and now Andrew Peterson has stuck a "The End" on their story. *sigh*

Well, I suppose I ought to put together some sort of review here. After all, that's why I'm at my computer typing right now.

Janner, Kalmar, and Leeli are back for one final adventure. One final battle against Gnag the Nameless. One final push to end the evil destroying their country, their family, their friends, and everything else before it's too late. One final book. One final. Did you get that? 

Life in the Hollows is, at the start, pretty peaceful. Yeah, there's the threat of Gnag looming over everyone, and Fangs creeping where they're not supposed to be, and ridgerunners acting highly suspicious, but it's right where book three left us. However, things start going wrong right after Janner gets blindplopped for his thirteenth birthday. And then everything goes to the Blackwood from there (except for when it all comes back from the Blackwood).

Meanwhile, across the sea, Artham, Sara, and Maraly are having troubles of their own. The book cuts for a bit to follow their storyline, and although there was a big part of me that wanted everything focused on the Wingfeather kids, I really liked how this second story was weaved in. All the action in Dugtown, the horrible Stranders, the devious Fangs... it was like getting to read an epic story within an epic story. [Highlight for spoilers] And I sincerely say that I love the growing father-daughter relationship between Maraly and Gammon. That's all I have to say on that account, because... spoilers.

I also love the development that Janner and his siblings go through. You would think that after everything they've been through, they couldn't get any better. But they do. Janner in particular grew up considerably, and I loved following his journey from selfish boy to sympathetic man (even though he's only thirteen). And, of course, those of you who know the end of this story... FEELS. SO MANY FEELS. I just can't even.

The dragons were so cool. Oskar was perfect, as always. Thorn made me smile every single time he showed up. Leeli was so sweet, and I'm adding a whistleharp to my wish list. SARA -- don't argue, but we need more of Sara Cobbler. Maraly was hilarious. And I even liked the troll. Honestly, there is so much good about this story that I could say, but I don't think you want to hear all that. It really is a good and awesome book -- with illustrations! A wonderful adventure, with epic pictures to boot. Can't get better than that. An awesome end to the Wingfeather Saga.

Although I wish it wasn't the end. But THANK YOU for the epilogue. I needed that. Seriously. Wait 'til you read it. You'll completely agree with me. BUT SO MANY THINGS UNANSWERED.

In the words of Amila Hooperstat, "I won't get on my soap box."

Put me on record for saying that I love Andrew Peterson's narrative and story style for these books. It's so awesome and total fun. Easy to read, but real right down to the core. And hilariously funny. Just what you want in an epic adventure about three siblings. And just what you want to mimic in the book review. 

Advisory: Lots of fantasy action. As the book centers around a war, there are multiple battles in which people (and creatures) are bit, injured, killed, or turned to dust. There are also scary and ugly things, like Stone Keepers, toothy cows, Bat Fangs, and the thirteenth honeymuffin. 

In addition, Gnag uses powerful stones to meld people with animals into Fangs or cloven. There are a lot of scenes centered around the melding and its results, but I thought it handled very well. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Please make certain that all your comments contain appropriate subject, content, topic, and, most importantly, glorify God. Thank you!