Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard)


Title: The Sword of Summer

Series: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard


Year: 2015

Author: Rick Riordan

Summary: Magnus Chase has seen his share of trouble. Ever since that terrible night two years ago when his mother told him to run, he has lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, staying one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, Magnus learns that someone else is trying to track him down—his uncle Randolph, a man his mother had always warned him about. When Magnus tries to outmaneuver his uncle, he falls right into his clutches. Randolph starts rambling about Norse history and Magnus's birthright: a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

The more Randolph talks, the more puzzle pieces fall into place. Stories about the gods of Asgard, wolves, and Doomsday bubble up from Magnus's memory. But he doesn't have time to consider it all before a fire giant attacks the city, forcing him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents. . . .

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die.

Main Characters:
~ Magnus Chase
~ Samirah al-Abbas
~ Blitzen
~ Hearthstone

Review: I was pretty excited to start this series, given my growing interest in Norse mythology. I can't say that I'm an expert in that area -- other than what I've learned through watching Marvel's Thor films -- but I'd like to do more study in that area. Greek mythology I got a mouthful of during one of my courses at college, but sadly, they didn't offer anything in the way of Norse. 

Magnus Chase is a sarcastic, homeless teen living in the streets of Boston. If his last name isn't any hint, he's Annabeth Chase's cousin (cameo to the Percy Jackson series), but Magnus thinks that he's the odd one in the family. After his uncle Randolph finds him, he discovers he's the son of the Norse god, Frey -- the god of summer, really. And suddenly, he's thrown into a life and death experience involving a thousand-year-old weapon, his birthright -- a talking sword that he calls Jack. 

And when I say death experience -- I literally mean death. Spoiler (kinda), but Magnus starts the book off by dying. And he tells you so right from the first page. To me it felt a little like Tangled: "This is the story of how I died." Magnus dies and then ends up in Valhalla. It's there that he learns that Ragnarok (the end of the world, basically) is coming and that everyone wants to try to use him to speed it up or delay it. 

Accompanying him on his adventures are three unlikely heroes -- a daughter of Loki, recently banned from the Valkyries; a dwarf with a superb fashion sense and an unfortunate sun condition; and an elf who speaks through ASL and isn't the least bit like Legolas. 

This book was a pretty fun adventure. We've got new perils, new gods, and new friends. But honestly, it didn't feel unique. I read a few other reviews of this book before writing mine and I have to agree with them -- I had a hard time pulling my mental image of Percy Jackson apart from Magnus. They're both so similar that (as the book's written in first person POV) I kept thinking I was following Percy. They're both sarcastic, Magnus only has a little bit more of an adult sarcasm and humor about him. Honestly, the whole book felt like a Norse knock-off. Instead of the Lightning Bolt, we've got the Sword of Summer that everybody wants to get their hands on. I mean, I enjoyed the Norse angle, but it didn't wow me like The Lightning Thief wowed me. 

I did like how Magnus wasn't the son of one of the top Norse gods. Percy's dad was Poseidon, making him pretty important, but Magnus wasn't the son of the ever-popular Thor or Loki. He isn't even the son of the god of war or smarts or anything like that. No. His dad's the god of summer, sunshine, fertility, peace, wealth, and rain. Not exactly the recipe you'd think would bake a hero. 

Advisory: The entire book has more of an adult feel to it. Magnus isn't the innocent demigod Percy was, so there is some more adult-type of humor and comments in this book. Also, some language. I was disappointed to see that. 

Lots of fantasy-type action and fighting and blood. One of Valhalla's daily routines is for all the inhabitants to participate in a all-out battle. And it's perfectly fine to impale your hallmate with a spear or chop his head off. And if that's considered normal, you can imagine what the rest of the book is gonna be like. 

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Please make certain that all your comments contain appropriate subject, content, topic, and, most importantly, glorify God. Thank you!